If you train at IATE you can be assured that you have chosen a fully accredited Higher Education college of over 25 years’ standing, with excellent credentials. We offer UKCP registration, HCPC registration (for an Arts Psychotherapy course) and two Masters degree programmes.
We have a teaching faculty of 50 highly qualified and experienced staff, including senior psychotherapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, clinical psychologists, senior academics and professionals trained in a whole range of art forms.
In association with our sister organisation, The Centre for Child Mental Health, top class international guest speakers and pioneers in the field of child and adult mental health contribute to our trainings.
The courses offer profound personal journeys through their in-depth work with the creative unconscious.
We pride ourselves in offering courses which are at the cutting edge of the integration of art and science. The latest neuroscientific research in emotional behaviour, child development and human interaction is a key feature of all our courses.
- If you train at The Institute you can be assured that you have chosen an inspirational training organisation which is passionate about social change and has 30 years experience of delivering validated training in counselling and psychotherapy for children, teenagers and adults.
- We are a fully accredited Higher Education College with an excellent reputation in the field. We are a full member of the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy, British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy and the government body, Health and Care Professions Council.
- We are academic partner of University of East London (UEL). Many of our courses are validated by UEL from our Masters Degree programmes to our 12 days practical skills trainings. Most importantly we are a not-for profit organisation dedicated to changing people’s lives.
- We have a teaching faculty of 70 highly experienced staff. Many are leading authors, and clinicians in their field including Senior Psychotherapists, Clinical and Educational Psychologists, Psychiatrists and expert Academics. Furthermore, in association with the Centre for Child Mental Health, first-class international clinicians, researchers and pioneers in the field of child and adult mental health contribute to our trainings. By having so many eminent trainers, our aim is to inspire our students. We have seen this happen many times as a great number of our graduates go on to achieve amazing things, bringing about social change on many levels all over the world and impacting on people’s lives in deeply moving ways.
- The courses offered at The Institute are unique. They include two Masters Degree courses (Masters in Integrative Child Psychotherapy and Masters in Integrative Arts Psychotherapy), several Diploma courses (Child Counselling, Teenage Counselling and Parent-Child Therapy) a Postgraduate Certificate in The Therapeutic Arts and four Certificate courses (Certificate in Therapeutic Play, Certificate in Parent-Child Relationship Skills, Certificate in Counselling Skills with Children Using the Arts and Certificate in Counselling Teenagers).
- Our MA in Integrative Arts Psychotherapy is the only art therapy course in the country to qualify you to work in the NHS as an art therapist (HCPC registration) and as an arts psychotherapist with UKCP (United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy.)
- Our vision to provide an inspirational learning environment in which the enquiring mind, the creative spirit are equally honoured and we believe that you will be able to share that vision in our beautiful premises, situated in one of the most vibrant parts of London.
- We adopt a psychodynamic and integrative approach in all we offer. In our treatment model, both the relationship per se and specifically the conversational act are informed by a synthesis of insights on the human condition from (a) selective contributions from over 100 years of psychoanalytic and psychotherapeutic theory and practice; (b) studies on the neuroscience and psychology of human relationship and human development (c) literature and the Arts.
- We pride ourselves in offering courses, which are at the cutting edge of the integration of art and science. The latest neuroscientific research in emotional behaviour, child development and human interaction underpins our syllabi.
- Our teaching style aims to provoke questions rather than provide ready answers; to give students the confidence to deeply engage with study; to explore and experience the healing powers of the creative imagination; to think deeply and read widely. Our tutors are all recognised experts in their field but are united in a nurturing outlook that makes the individual needs of students and their eventual clients their priority. We prepare students in a supportive way to work in potentially difficult and emotionally challenging situations and we share with them our belief that the Arts and active use of creative imagination enable people to develop and make sense of their world in profound ways.
- Also, most importantly, the Institute has a total commitment to diversity in its student body and rejects any form of discrimination.
- We can offer you the opportunity to embark on a truly fulfilling career, making a real difference to people’s lives.
We can honestly say that, after 30 years no student has ever come to us and said they can’t get a job. In fact we have a very long list available for our students detailing the people and the places graduates have been involved with. As our courses are unique our graduates have regularly found themselves with excellent opportunities having taken pioneering roles in health, education, social services and private practice.