Duration: One year one day a week (a choice of a Thursday or Friday).
When: Starts late September 2022
Duration: Two years over weekend days only
When: Starts January 2023
This course is commonly referred to as Level One
About the Course
An extraordinary often life changing training on the use of the arts in therapy. It brings together the integration of seven art forms with the spoken word, which powerfully brings access to the world of the unconscious. Students experience this for themselves in order to feel confident in being able to facilitate others. The experiential part of the course is backed by fascinating psychoanalytic and psychotherapeutic theory on the human condition, the impact of painful life experience on brain, mind and body and research on transformational change.
The Diploma offers a complete learning package in its own right. However, it also leads on to the Masters Degree or Diploma course in Integrative Arts Psychotherapy and the Masters Degree or Diploma course in Integrative Child Psychotherapy. It acts as the stepping-stone to the advanced psychotherapy and Counselling programmes leading to UKCP registration as a psychotherapist or Counsellor. Successful completion of the PGCert in the Therapeutic Arts leads to the award of a PGCert in the Therapeutic Arts by University of East London.
The course is divided into two sections:
Part One is designed to enable students to tap into their own creativity in order to reach a deeper level of connection with themselves and others; to appreciate the potential of the human imagination; to develop knowledge and understanding of the nature of the inner world, of dreams and the many different forms and uses of human imagery.
Part Two focuses on the supervised practise of facilitation skills and on the three-way communication between therapist, client and art image.
Theoretical Course Units (25% of course content)
The theoretical course units adopt frameworks and concepts from Humanistic and Integrative Psychotherapy, Psychoanalysis, Self Psychology and Neurobiology.
Practical Course Units (75% of course content)
The Therapeutic Application of: Art, Drama/Poetry, Sculpture/Clay, Poetry, Sandplay, Music, Dance/Movement.
Please note: This course is also the assessment year for the following courses: Masters Integrative Arts Psychotherapy or Masters Degree Integrative Child Psychotherapy.
All candidates must be able to demonstrate on the interview day, the following capacities and abilities:
- Warmth, openness and ability to take feedback non-defensively.
- Contactful exchanges with others rather than being defensive, withholding, intellectualising.
- A genuine curiosity about the other as opposed to indifference or simply focusing on yourself all the time.
- Empathic therapeutic presence.
- Self-awareness, and knowledge of your own trauma triggers, defence mechanisms.
- Openness and willingness to discuss with the interviewer your own personal journey in an emotionally undefended way.
- Ability to communicate about your mental states and emotions.
- Emotional robustness.
- An accepting, compassionate, as opposed to judgmental, attitude towards others.
- The ability to stay stable under stress.
- Under interpersonal stress, the ability to reflect and negotiate with the other, rather than moving to a position of accusation or blame.
- A good ability to play.
- A positive rather than frightened or inhibited relationship to the arts.
- The ability to create with ease both mental and artistic images.
- Commitment to working with the arts and the active use of the imagination in the ways outlined by the philosophy of The Institute.
- Agree to abide by the Code of Ethics, Code of Practice and Code of Conduct adhered to by The Institute
- Undertake personal psychotherapy with approved practitioners over the duration of the course.
"I felt very comfortable to be my authentic self… Thank you, I loved every minute"
Postgraduate Diploma Graduate 2016
Upon successful completion of the above course, students are eligible to continue their studies with IATE on the following advanced training programmes:
MA Integrative Arts Psychotherapy
MA Integrative Child Psychotherapy
Diploma in Child Counselling (Year 2)
Diploma in Counselling Teenagers
This training programme constitutes the first year of the Professional Certificate in Counselling Using the Arts
Changes to the curriculum, teaching staff, assignments on our courses
IATE reserves the right to make adjustments to the above due to unforeseen circumstances.
The quality of the training will not in any way be compromised in doing so.