Duration: One year one day a week (a choice of a Thursday or Friday). Alternatively, two years over weekend days only
When: Starts October 2020
About the Course
The Diploma offers a complete learning package in its own right. However, it also leads on to the Masters Degree or Diploma course in Integrative Arts Psychotherapy and the Masters Degree or Diploma course in Integrative Child Psychotherapy. It acts as the stepping-stone to the advanced psychotherapy and Counselling programmes leading to UKCP registration as a psychotherapist or Counsellor. Successful completion of the PGCert in the Therapeutic Arts leads to the award of a PGCert in the Therapeutic Arts by University of East London.
The course is divided into two sections:
Part One is designed to enable students to tap into their own creativity in order to reach a deeper level of connection with themselves and others; to appreciate the potential of the human imagination; to develop knowledge and understanding of the nature of the inner world, of dreams and the many different forms and uses of human imagery.
Part Two focuses on the supervised practise of facilitation skills and on the three-way communication between therapist, client and art image.
Theoretical Course Units (25% of course content)
The theoretical course units adopt frameworks and concepts from Humanistic and Integrative Psychotherapy, Psychoanalysis, Self Psychology and Neurobiology.
Practical Course Units (75% of course content)
The Therapeutic Application of: Art, Drama/Poetry, Sculpture/Clay, Poetry, Sandplay, Music, Dance/Movement.
Please note: This course is also the assessment year for the following courses: Masters Degree/Diploma in Integrative Arts Psychotherapy or Masters Degree/Diploma in Integrative Child Psychotherapy.
All candidates must:
- Be committed to working with the Arts and the active use of the imagination in the ways outlined by the philosophy of The Institute
- Agree to abide by the Code of Ethics, Code of Practice and Code of Conduct adhered to by The Institute
- Undertake personal psychotherapy with approved practitioners for the duration of the course
Be able to demonstrate the following capacities and abilities:
- Potential empathetic therapeutic presence
- Self-awareness and the ability to be open and emotionally undefended
- The ability to create with ease both mental and artistic images
- Good emotional literacy skills
- Emotional robustness
- A good ability to play
- A good level of contact with others
- An accepting, compassionate, as opposed to judgmental, attitude towards others
- The ability to stay stable under stress
- A positive rather than frightened or inhibited relationship to the Arts
- If English is not your first language your place on this course is conditional on the basis that you provide us with an IELTS certificate of 6.5 or over in all areas.
"I felt very comfortable to be my authentic self… Thank you, I loved every minute"
Postgraduate Diploma Graduate 2016